Sunday, August 28, 2011

My Birthday Surprise

My birthday was actually August 13 but I have been so busy I haven't had time to post about it. Cory and I have both wanted a dog for a while now but the places we have lived so far weren't really dog friendly. No fences, no dogs allowed, too small of a place. Now that we have moved to Summersville we have a house that has enough room and dogs are allowed. We have a big yard but no fence. But we have a little sun room that a dog could hang out in. We have been talking about and looking for a dog for probably a month now. We really had our eye on a Boston Terrier because a friend of ours had one and we just loved him. We looked and looked and looked. They were either too expensive, not very cute, not a female, too far away, etc..... We finally found one that was about 30 minutes away so after I finally talked Cory into going and getting it, we did. Let me tell you, it was the most disgusting place we have ever been, When we pulled up the grass was up to our knees and there was junk everywhere. The closer we got to the house the more it stunk. It was terrible. It smelled like dog and pee. I just kept thinking if this is how bad it smells outside, I don't want to go inside! We knocked on the door and stood there for what seemed forever. Finally a women came to the door. Surprisingly she looked half way descent. We hesitantly went in side the house. It didn't smell as bad as I thought but it was still disgusting. She had sold one of the puppies while we were on our way so we had no pick. He was a cute little thing but he was covered in bites and Cory said he looked like his fur was coming off. Her husband was sitting on the floor picking flees off of him. Cory made up some story that we were really looking at the other puppy. Thank goodness she bought it and we were out of there. Neither one of us wanted to take home a dog that was covered in fleas or that might have medical problems. We hated to leave him in that filth but we couldn't bring ourselves to take him home. So we were back to square one.

By this time school was getting close and we both had so much to do to get ready for it. Looking for a dog got put on the back burner and I forgot all about it. But my wonderful husband didn't! Since we live in a town that has five hundred people, with any sort of good shopping at least 45 minutes aways and the really good shopping about two hours away, I knew I wasn't getting anything. I decided to go work on my room that morning to get some more stuff done. We had planned to both come back to the house around 3ish and get ready go to out to eat. Cory kept the car because he said he was going to "wash" it. So when 3 rolled along he came and got me and we headed back to the house. When we got into the kitchen there was a cake with candles and a couple of presents. When I rounded the corner 2 our of friends were waiting. I was told to go see what Merlyn had. He was sitting on the couch with a pillow over his lap. I wasn't too sure about going to see what he had but I did anyway. When he pulled the pillow back he had a baby Boston Terrier with a red ribbon tied around her neck. I was so surprised and couldn't believe Cory had actually gotten us a puppy and wo me knowing it. She was so sweet and everything we had wanted.

She was a very good puppy and was very calm. She slept all the time and didn't eat much. We just passed it off blaming it on the fact that she was still a baby. About five days after we got her it was time for another vaccination. So we took her in and got it done. The next night she started throwing up and wouldn't stop. We called the vet who said to just watch her, if she started swelling or getting measles like bumps on her to call him, She just kept throwing up and not acting right, so we called the vet back and talked him into letting us bring her in. So at about 10:00 that night we were at the vet trying to figure out what was wrong with our puppy. He said she looked ok but was going to keep her over night. Said that she either had ate something or was allergic to the shot she was given. The next day they said she was doing ok and that we could come and get her. About a mile down the road after she was picked up, she threw up again. I called the vet to see what he wanted to us to do. Bring her back in, he said. So she stayed another night at the vet. The next morning we called and they said she was fine and had not been throwing up. We went to get her only to find her still acting weird. She wouldn't eat, she played a little but not much. That afternoon my husband decided she just wasn't acting good enough for us to leave it alone. So we called a different vet to see what they thought. Bring her in they said. We took our sick little puppy once again to the vet. He asked questions, we asked questions, he ran a blood test, took her temperature, and finally checked her for parvo. Sure enough, it was positive. She had parvo! I was never so mad in my whole life. The other vet should have checked for that and he never did. They were force feeding her and she was throwing it back up. We assume they had been lying to us the whole time. The new vet told us our choices and we decided to leave her with him. He would do his best to keep her alive. She had a 70% chance of survival. Thank goodness three days later we were able to go and get her. She was a different dog. When they handed her to me, I could barely keep her in my arms, she was squirming so much.

She is spunky and so lively. She wants to play all the time and she has so much energy. She wants to eat all the time and acts as if she is starving. She still likes to sleep a lot but I do blame that on being a puppy and all of her energy!

Miss Abby 11 weeks old

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

oh my goodness!! I would be soo mad!! I'm glad ya'll took her somewhere else! She is presh!! Good luck with the potty training. I'm not good with that..for dogs..or kids :))

Tiffany said...

oh and when we went to get Trixie the house was the exact same as this first house you are talking about. Except we took her and she didn't seem to be sick or have fleas. But the place had really high grass and it smelled awful! They bred lots of dogs and had kennels everywhere! They looked like redneck hillbillies. I wasn't sure how Trix would turn out but now that we have her I feel so bad any dog has to be in a place like that.Was Abby expensive or cheap? Alot of times if they haven't had their shots they are practically free. We had to drive all the way to Killeen for Trixie but we lived in Burnet then so it wasn't AS far I guess. Still, to find "the right" dog...Will thought I was nuts!!