Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Hard Lesson to Learn

A couple years back a friend and I were going through a difficult time together. Because I was "her" friend, she felt that I should not be friends with a certain person who had said some terrible things about her husband. During an event this unwanted friend came and sat right beside me. The good friend became very upset and decided to say something to me that was not very nice. I could not believe what I was hearing. When the words came out of her mouth, I was completely stunned. Not only were the words extremely hurtful, rude and unneeded, but she was a good christian woman. Why was she acting this way and why was she using these words? I was extremely hurt. To this day I can tell you exactly how everything happened, word for word, where were standing, and my reaction. In this moment and for months to come I was so very angry and hurt. It was not my fault and there was nothing I could do about it.
Now that it has been a couple of years, I look back and I am thankful for what was said. I know, I"m sure your wondering where I'm going with this. You see I have a tendency to say what is on my mind without thinking about what I'm about to say, ignoring the consequences it may bring. I have hurt several people because of my personal imperfection. This is a big imperfection to have!
 But, now that I look back, I see how bad those ugly words hurt me. So bad that I do not think I will ever forget what was said. It took someone hurting me to realize how bad I may have or will in the future hurt someone if I do not think about what I am about to say. There are so many times when what we are thinking does not need to be said. Once words are said they can never be taken back, no matter how many times you ask for forgiveness, what you do to make up for it, or even if the person knows you didn't mean it. It was still said. I hope that I never say something to someone again that was so hurtful they will remember it for the rest of their life.

No comments: