Tuesday, March 15, 2011

What a Weekend

My mom drove to my house Thursday night so she could take me home from the surgery on Friday morning. It was nice to have my mom around for most parts. Except for the parts when her and my husband agreed that I was freaking out. I tend to do that.

Friday 5:45 am- This is the time that Copper Top told me to arrive for my surgery. We arrive promptly at 5:45 to find an empty parking lot, no lights on in the building, and no people anywhere. This is where I freak out. For starters I have never been to this place and was praying it was where I was suppose to be. Once I find they aren’t open, I immediately assume this is not the right place. I call my husband who tells me the only thing he knows to do is to call my dr’s wife. I can’t call her at 5:45 am! But I do because I’m freaking out that this is not the right place. My Dr picks up the phone, I'm sure wondering why the heck I am calling his wife so early in the morning. He cannot believe they aren’t open either, but tells me they open at 6:00 and someone should be there soon. If not, call him back. I later found out that they were both awake because he was actually headed to a delivery and she was up with the baby. I feel better about calling, but still cringe at the thought. If I had just waited the 20 minutes until they opened the door, I would have figured it out myself. But really, who tells someone to be there at 5:45 and forgets to mention that they don’t open until 6?!

After getting settled in, peeing in a cup to make sure I was not preggers (even though I was in the beginnings of a full blown period, which was missing for 2 months) and changing into my gown, the anesteologist enters the room. He then tells me what he is going to do and how he is going to do it. THEN he tells me EVERY possible scenario as to what can happen during this process. I may die, he could accidentally knock some of my teeth out, they might think I am knocked out but feel everything that is going on, I could exasperate, on and on. I mean really, is scaring the living day lights out of someone really necessary right before they are about to go under?! Thankfully I put it all out of my head after he left the room. Anyway, on to the important things.

My 15 minute, not a big deal surgery turned into an over an hour, kind of a big deal surgery. The last thing I remember before going to sleep was someone putting a mask over my mouth and telling me to breath, just breath. The first thing I remember when waking up was the nurses talking, one told the other that he found a cyst on my ovary and asking if it was normal for my urine to be green. Thankfully I heard the other nurse tell her that it was normal, it was because of the dye he put through my tubes. But I started to cry. I’m not sure why. I think it was because I was scared something was wrong. I did not like that he found a cyst either.
When returning to my room my mom explained to me what the Dr said to her. The surgery went good. Instead of taking 15 minutes it took over an hour. There was indeed scar tissue and lots of it. It had covered my uterus, tubes and parts of my ovaries. Everything was stuck together so he unstuck it all. He believes that the scar tissue started growing with in the first month after my surgery. So the past months of trying have been pointless. He found a cyst on one of my ovaries and drained it. He later told me that he thinks that an egg tried to release but got stuck and turned into a cyst, which is probably why I didn’t have a period for 2 months because my body thought I didn’t ovulate. One of my tubes was twisted so he tried to fix it. He felt like he was going to hurt it more than fix it, so he left it alone. He then put dye through my tubes. The dye flowed through wo problem, a good sign! He inserted a drain tube to drain access fluid and blood to keep things from sticking together as bad. Hopefully.

Monday: Today we went back to get the tube removed. I was so ready for it to come out. He explained to me that he is hoping I get pregnant either this month or next month because the scar tissue will start growing back soon. If I don’t get pregnant soon we will have to do one of two things. Go back in and try to repair the tube and remove more scar tissue, or invitro. I am praying we get pregnant this month. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I will be able to tell you that we are pregnant and another surgery or invitro is not needed.

Oh and in case your wondering, yes I went to the party. I probably shouldn’t have, but I did. During the hour drive to the party I was beginning to second guess my decision. I was sure my breakfast would come up at any moment. Thankfully it never did and once we got there I was fine. I'm sure some people were wondering what the heck was wrong with me because I'm sure I did not look like the happiest person there. But I made it, I got to enjoy my nephews 5th birthday party.

1 comment:

Brynn said...

wow! what an ordeal. i'm glad that the scar tissue was removed and the cyst drained. i fear that i have scar tissue from my c-section, but then i remind myself that lots of women get them and go on to have more kids. i have heard that many women get pregnant within the first couple months after that kind of surgery! i'm thinking and praying and hoping for you!

p.s., you won the giveaway over at two shades of pink!!! congrats!