Saturday, May 19, 2012

Morgan's Birth Story

I wanted to get this on here before I forgot too much of it. It was such a whirlwind of a day anyway, I want to get it all down so I don't forget.

Friday, April 27, came quickly. I was to not eat after 2:00 am that morning, not good for me. Cory set an alarm for 1:00 am for us to get up and eat something but some how we slept right through it. Darn!! I don't do good when I don't eat. Everybody told me that I would be fine because I would be so nervous and excited. Well, they were wrong! I woke up starving, and stayed starving until it was time to go back. Oh well, it was all for a good reason. Thank goodness I never threw up before the surgery. Anyway...............we didn't have to be at the hospital until 9:30 or 10:00, which was nice because we got to kind of relax and not rush before going. We got to the hospital about 10:00 and got settled in our room. They started asking me tons of questions, started my IV and fluids, and took some blood. I loved the little nurse we had. She was so nice and kept a smile on her face. I got to have her a couple of times while we were there. A nurse came in to ask our nurse a question and at first she said we weren't going to be able to go back until 2:30 (we were scheduled for 12:00), Cory and I just about freaked out! Then she realized what she had said, she meant 12:30. Ok, that was a little better.

Before I knew it a man came in saying he was from surgery. I don't know why it didn't dawn on me that he was coming to get me, but it didn't. I just thought he was coming to ask me questions. Before I could blink he was moving things around and rolling me out of the room. I didn't even get to say anything to Cory. I couldn't believe it but I started to tear up. I think a lot of it was because it was all happening so fast and I wasn't ready. They wheeled me into the operating room and it all started becoming too real. I was then moved over from my bed to the operating table, which by the way was very small! Dr. Wright was in there and was asking if I was ok and telling me things would be fine. I think he could see the terror on my face. They then sat me up and gave me my spinal. It was painful but not like I thought it would be. I could feel the needle in my back and on the other side of my backbone. Thankfully it didn't take long. Dr. Wright was there the whole time talking to me and making sure I was ok. They then laid me back down and the spinal came in full force. I couldn't feel a thing. I hated they way it made me feel and could not wait to get feeling back. I couldn't feel anything but felt so heavy at the same time. They started prepping me and before I knew it, it was time to start. Dr. Wright started cutting and Cory wasn't even in the room yet. Thankfully the anestioloist noticed and asked if he could come in. At this point I was freaking out a little bit. I didn't like the way I felt, my leg felt like it was bent and it was uncomfortable and I was just scared. When Cory came in he could tell I was freaking out and started telling me it was ok, things would be fine. I felt much better with him there holding my hand. The worst part was when they were pushing on my chest to get her out. She was still very high and they couldn't get her. It hurt sooooo bad! I squeezed Cory's hand so hard, I'm sure it had to hurt. She was so high they almost had to get out the vacuum. Thankfully she finally came out. The first thing I heard was how healthy she looked and that she had a ton of hair. He finally lifted her over the blue curtain so I could see. She was so beautiful and not at all what I thought she would look like. When Cory looked at me he had tears in his eyes. He was smitten from first sight! The first thing I noticed was how chunky her cheeks were and how little she looked. She didn't cry for the longest time, but I remember not being worried because everybody kept saying how healthy she was and how big she was. She finally cried and so did I. They cleaned her up and brought her over to me. She was beautiful! Then they took her to the nursery to get checked out and cleaned up better. Cory followed behind. I was told later that in the nursery he was like a kid in a candy store, a giddy, smitten daddy. So wish I could have seen it.

After they finished stitching me up they took me to recovery. I remember shaking uncontrollably because I was freezing. Thank goodness, recovery had hot lights and this heater that went under the covers to warm me up. They were going to bring Cory back with Morgan but there was another patient in there also so they only brought Morgan back. The nurse laid her on my chest and I remember thinking that I was about to drop her. She was so perfect and quiet. (Of course that has changed) Before I knew it, it was time to go back to my room. When they wheeled me in, Cory was holding Morgan. When he turned to look at me, he had a huge smile on his face. I knew right then he was completely smitten! He was holding her like a pro. Didn't look scared or awkward at all. He looked like he had been doing this forever. I couldn't have been happier.

Morgan did great on her apgar test, got an 8-9 the nurse said. She passed her vision and hearing with flying colors. She only ended up losing about 4 ounces and gained them back by the time we went back to the doctor that Wednesday. She had a tiny, tiny bit of jaundice, but thankfully it wasn't enough to make her stay in the hospital or even need a blanket.

We had many visitors, who I felt bad for, because there were two different times that I was puking my guts up and they all had to stand there and hear it. Thankfully they gave me some medicine and that problem was taken care of. By Sunday the OB department started to fill up, and since Morgan and I were both doing so well they let us go home. Cory and I were both excited but very nervous to be leaving the hospital and the nurses who could fix everything for us.

I still can't believe she is finally here and we have a beautiful baby girl who we absolutely adore!! She is gorgeous and we couldn't have asked her a more perfect little girl!!

Fresh out of the oven!

 
8 pounds 2 ounces

   Meeting Morgan for the first time

Getting cleaned up in the nursery.   
 
            Our beautiful baby girl!

No comments: